Sunday, June 30, 2013

Last Day in Thoiry...First Day in Madrid

¡Hola de Madrid!
My plane left at 6:55 this morning and landed at 8:55. Holy early morning.

My last day in France was spent at a festival to honor Voltaire. The town Ferney Voltaire, where he lived, is just a 15 minute drive from Thoiry. It is actually where I'll be taking French classes when I go back in August.
Every year they have this festival with lots of food and entertainment. Honestly, it wasn't that great. It was cold and rainy so I didn't take my camera for good pictures. But I did have some delicious soup and a yummy almond tart. And I got to see some dancing. Five couples got on the stage and danced in the traditional clothes and wooden clogs. Pretty interesting.
{Here is a horrible picture from my iPod. Enjoy.}


We got back to the house at 10:30 pm...just in time for dinner. #italianlife 
We ate until 11:30 and then they finally let me go to sleep. 
I got to bed at 2 after I finished packing and cleaning up the apartment. I had a nice three hour nap before I had to be up at 5 to go to the airport. Needless to say, I was exhausted this morning.

Thank you, Swiss, for the free chocolate.

Fortunately, the family here in Spain sent me straight to bed where I slept until 3 this afternoon. 
Glorious sleep!
I had a traditional Spanish lunch of hamburgers and french fries. Then we went on a bike ride around the area where they live. I found the mall (woohoo!) and a gorgeous park. I'm excited to explore some more in the coming weeks.

The family is going out of town next weekend so I'll be by myself from Friday afternoon until Sunday. I'm really looking forward to some quiet time to myself. These past seven weeks have been a whirlwind and I still haven't really had time to process everything. So next weekend will be good!

I am loving Madrid already. The weather is very similar to Georgia so it feels like home. It's really refreshing to feel hot outside. I was sick of wearing jackets and pants!

My family in America is driving to the beach today. While I'm so happy to be in Europe, I'm kind of sad I am not there with them. This is the first time -ever- that I've missed a beach trip with my family.
I'm missing them a lot today when I think of all the fun they're about to have.
But it's okay. Because I'm in Spain! I can't really complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to read my blog! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...