Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Amsterdam

Oh how I loved Amsterdam. There is just something so charming about the city. All the canals, bikes, flowers, cute houses...I love it.
I got a lot of recommendations from Liz on things to do in the city. My favorite thing we did, by far, was rent bikes for the day. You have to do this if you're in Amsterdam. It's the best way to see the city and get around town.




My second favorite thing was the Anne Frank Museum.
This place was incredible. I LOVE history and the Holocaust has always been one of the most interesting things for me to study. It was such a humbling experience to walk through the actual house. The original bookshelf is still there. When we came to the bookshelf and the stairs, that's when it hit me: I was walking through history. Such a crazy feeling.
The pictures Anne put up on her walls are still there. The original pictures! On one doorframe is the markings that show how much Anne and her sister grew during their time spent in the annex. Seeing those kinds of things just makes the history come alive.
If you can't tell, I HIGHLY recommend this if you ever go to Amsterdam. You have to see it.

After riding through Vondel Park, we found an outdoor market. So fun.








On the edge of the city, there is a brewery in a windmill. I don't like beer (and Rachel doesn't really either), but if you do, this is the place for you. There are tons of picnic tables outside. The locals come here after work so it's not a huge touristy area. Even if you don't want to try the beer, it's still a great photo op. Definitely a fun, relaxing atmosphere!


I can't wait to go back and explore some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to read my blog! I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...